Sunday, August 25, 2024

On Composition (II)


 (illustration: “Music is Easy” Giuseppe Chiari - 1979)
 
 
A few words to complement my post on my composition process...

Multi-track recording on a DAW puts me, as a solo musician, in the position of a band member…

I have to play each new track while listening those I have just recorded, and react to them, imagining how to complete them, how to bounce off them, how to extend them...

As in a real band (and I had this experience in Lightwave, with Serge Leroy, Christoph Harbonnier, Paul Haslinger and Jacques Derégnaucourt), taking the risk of playing anything in relation to what you hear, in a studio session or on stage, or in a solo multi-track recording session, means measuring the risks of adding, muddling or messing things up, and proceeding with economy, the less the better...

My experience at the moment, as a producer of my own music, is that the most important stage is the one where I purge, delete, erase, create silence and breath...

Where others proceed by superimposition, layer after layer, track after track, to create a veritable wall of sound, out of horror of emptiness or silence, I make the opposite choice: return to the essential, create relief and punctuation, let the sounds breathe, sculpt time through silence, create a narrative, a painting, a sculpture with the patterns I choose to keep...

This step of editing, mixing and production is what makes the music, my music, emerge from the sound magma, from the raw materials I've recorded...

It's all a question of dosage, fine tuning, balance, oscillation between sound and silence...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment