Thursday, April 18, 2024

AN EARTHLING'S POINT OF VIEW ON THE SPOTIFY PLANET: A NOTEBOOK OF OBSERVATIONS...



- Some of the most influential ambient playlists in terms of subscriber numbers only offer tracks between 1 minute 30 and 3 minutes, for meditating, relaxing, daydreaming, falling asleep, and so on. As for me, this perpetual zapping would make me dizzy and prevent me from both concentrating and relaxing... Wouldn't you agree?

- From the point of view of the musicians involved: producing ambient pieces lasting around 2 minutes is a particular stylistic exercise... Musical haikus, without the depth and resonance of Japanese poems?

- What explains the success of sleep playlists? Has music become a soporific, and will it be reimbursed by social security?

- Spotify's in-house editorial playlists are the only ones capable of boosting a musician's visibility and listenership. But they only integrate new musicians once a statistical threshold of visibility and listens has been reached. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

- Given that a stream currently only earns a musician 0.004 euros, provided that the track in question has already reached 1,000 non-monetized listens, how many streams does it take to make a return on the sums demanded by playlist curators (“buy me a coffee, 5 euros for sharing your track on my playlist”)  or intermediary platforms that demand a minimum payment of 75 euros to submit your track to unidentified playlists?

- Is it completely utopian to imagine that the human and "organic" factor could, on its own scale, partly compete with the algorithmic steamroller?

For example, if I asked the readers of this post, who know and appreciate my music and are sensitive to my efforts to survive a little, if I asked them to follow my artist profile on Spotify, to listen to a few of my tracks, or even to subscribe to my page, could that make a little difference, as a gesture of support, as an artistic and political manifesto in favor of an independent and uncompromising musical approach?

And couldn't we imagine electronic musicians, struggling to survive in the merciless world of algorithms, supporting each other in this way?

Let's give it a try?
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment