Monday, April 15, 2024

WHO ARE MY LISTENERS?

 


The statistics given by Spotify on my audience over the past month are interesting. This gendered and generational profiling shows that my music is listened to mainly by men, but with a quarter of women.

I thought Spotify was mainly aimed at a very young, urban, hip, constantly zapping audience.

The under-thirties account for just over 17%.

"Serious" ambient music like mine (well, I consider it serious, but maybe I'm wrong...), which doesn't fit into the stereotypes of music for relaxation, yoga, meditation, sleep etc. (but which is perhaps perceived as such, I don't know...), is listened to by 64% of people over 35...

We can imagine that this category of "mature and senior" listeners has a certain musical culture and has come across the sure values of ambient and electronic music over the years, whether it's the Germans, the Californians, or Eno's gang...

I also think that across these age categories, there are "sharp" listening communities, following labels, artists and playlists that are more or less confidential, but reflect strong musical and artistic options and identities...

It's actually encouraging... For an independent musician like me, a qualitative and committed audience is obviously more valuable than a quantitative but fickle one...

I find a certain consistency between my followers on Bandcamp and on Spotify...

A "niche" audience, but loyal, curious, adventurous...

They are the invisible fuel of my creativity...!

No comments:

Post a Comment